Turmeric is a very popular spice all over the world, whose yellow color does not go unnoticed, besides giving a very particular flavor to the dishes.
Originally from Asia, it has earned a very special place among the most beneficial foods for health because, in addition to having a powerful anti-inflammatory action, it is also rich in antioxidants and other important nutrients that help to prevent and fight different diseases.
By tradition, this spice is used in gastronomy to give flavor and color to dishes; However, since antiquity many cultures have given different medicinal uses in order to make cures and treatments for ailments and health problems.
One of those remedies that has transcended over the years and is now becoming popular is turmeric with honey. It is a very powerful combination that by its concentration of nutrients can strengthen the body to maintain good health.
Medicinal Properties of Turmeric
Turmeric is a spice native to Asia that has become a very popular natural product due to its richness in different nutrients essential for our health.
- Its richness in curcumin gives it bronchodilator, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that are especially useful to combat different respiratory problems, including colds, bronchitis and asthma cases.
- It also helps to prevent viral diseases such as colds and flu cases due to its immunomodulatory capacity that helps us to increase the defenses of the immune system.
- It works like a stomach tonic that helps reduce stomach conditions such as slow digestion, chronic gastritis, gas or acidity in the stomach. Turmeric contains active ingredients such as zingiberene, which has excellent anti-ulcer and digestive properties that will help you to combat such problems.
- Turmeric is also an excellent remedy for cardiovascular
diseases,since some of its components (such as its richness in antioxidants and vitamin C) provide cardioprotective properties that reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Its powerful anti-inflammatory properties make this spice an excellent treatment to reduce different symptoms of arthritis such as stiffness, joint swelling
- Turmeric can prevent some types of cancer, including breast, colon
and duodenum,since it is a spice with a high content of anticancernutrients such as curcumin and beta-carotene.
How to Take Turmeric and Honey for the Cold
Now that you know the different benefits of turmeric, below, we will explain how you should use it in case you want to reduce the symptoms of a cold. For this, you must have the following ingredients in your kitchen:
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric
- 100 grams of honey
Preparation and Treatment
1- To take the turmeric for the cold, you will have to mix in a bowl a spoonful of this spice powder with 100 grams of organic honey.
2- We use honey in this treatment since it is a food that works as a natural antibiotic that will also help us to relieve the symptoms of both flu and cold, in addition to increasing the defenses of our immune system.
3- When you have turmeric and honey mixed in a bowl, the next step is to add a glass of water to the container and stir everything until you get a homogeneous mixture.
4- Once everything is well mixed, pour the home remedy into a glass jar that has a lid, since you will have to use it at different times of the day. You will have your homemade remedy ready with turmeric and honey to combat the symptoms of a cold.
5- For this type of case, we will have to take half a spoonful of the home remedy and take it every hour during the first day of illness.
6- Once you have passed the first day of cold, you will have to take half a spoonful of turmeric with honey every two hours until you notice an improvement in your health.
For the home remedy to help you to fight this type of affections, it will be necessary to take at least 3 tablespoons a day of turmeric with honey for a whole week.
Contraindications of Turmeric
Although turmeric is a very beneficial spice for health, there are some cases where this spice is contraindicated. Some of them are:
- Gallstones: you can not take turmeric in these cases, as it could cause cramping.
- Diseases of the liver: before starting any turmeric supplement, it is necessary to consult the appropriate doses to your general practitioner.
- Anticoagulant drugs: turmeric may increase the anticoagulant effects of this type of treatment, so its use is totally contraindicated.
- Pregnancy and lactation: its emenagogo effects make it an inappropriate species in this type of case.