Also known as pitaya, pitahaya or strawberry pear, dragon fruit is one of the most unique fruits. Dragon fruit looks almost like pineapple but has red, pink or yellow skin. Its flesh is white or pink. The entire flesh is full of black edible seeds. These small seeds have a lot of benefits too. The fruit tastes slightly sweet or bland. Most people feel that it tastes like kiwi or pear as both of these fruits have a bit sweet or bland taste.
Indigenous to central America, dragon fruit has become a famous fruit worldwide for its unique appearance and taste. The people who try it for the first time are usually surprised by how crunchy this fruit is. This tropical superfood has tons of health benefits.
Dragon fruit does two great things: it stops early signs of aging and helps us fight against diabetes. This fruit has a lot of Vitamin C, fatty acid and phosphorus, and this helps the consumers of dragon fruit remain fit healthy. Just like a watermelon gets bitter when you start eating the white or the greenish part, dragon fruit’s white part should only be eaten. The pinkish part shouldn’t be eaten as it is bitter at times.
People have started going crazy about dragon fruit as it has:
➔ Vitamin C
➔ Vitamin B
Benefits and Uses of Dragonfruit:
1. Prevents Cancer: Carotene is linked to several anti-carcinogenic qualities like reducing tumors. Lycopene in dragon fruit reduces prostate cancer risks. Even polyphenols work against cancer. The peel, the flesh and even the seeds of dragon fruits prevent cancer.
2. Boosts Immunity: High levels of Vitamin C in dragon fruit are considered to be really great for boosting one’s immune system. Also, there are so many antioxidants in dragon fruit that help our bodies fight against the damage caused by the free radicals. In order to strengthen your immunity, you can eat it every day.
3. Diabetes: This exotic fruit is full of nutrients. Especially fiber is great at stabilizing our blood sugar levels. If your blood sugar level is too high, you can eat dragon fruit every day as it converts the sugar into energy. Also, it reduces oxidative stress in the body.
4. Enhances Digestion: The minerals, nutrients, and fibers are great for our digestive system. By consuming enough amount of fibers, we can make sure that our bowel movements are fine. Dragon fruit helps us reduce the chances of problems like constipation and irritable bowel syndrome.
5. Prevents Aging: Nowadays we keep looking for medicines that can prevent early signs of aging. However, we forget that nature can do a better job than medicines. The antioxidants in dragon fruit are great for our skin as they keep the skin tight and firm. It has a great number of antioxidants due to its great Vitamin C content. The other minerals and nutrients help our skin breathe and remain fresh. To conclude: you must eat dragon fruit if you want to age backward.
6. Supports Cardiovascular Health: Dragon fruit is said to boost the heart’s health by reducing the bad cholesterol. It lowers the risk of developing heart disease and high blood pressure too. It is a great source of monosaturated fats which are essential for your heart’s well-being.
7. Protects Hair from chemicals: If you have colored your hair or used a lot of chemicals, you must be aware of how chemicals can destroy your hair. Applying dragon fruit juice on your hair can protect your hair from the damage. You can even use products that have dragon fruits for topical application on your air.
8. Increases Iron Levels: Many of us eat healthy food but have low iron levels. It is because our body isn’t absorbing the iron content. Vitamin C in dragon fruit helps absorbing iron in the body. Dragon fruit is full of iron content along with Vitamin C, which makes it the best combination for the people who have low iron levels.
9. Promotes Healthy Gut: Your Gut is home to so many bacteria and microorganisms. However, when the number of bacteria and microorganisms increases too much, it can be a problem. The prebiotics in dragon fruit controls the balance of good bacteria in your gut.
10. Helps Overcome Malnutrition: Since this fruit is loaded with nutrients, you can include this in your diet to fight malnutrition. Dragon fruit is full of Vitamin C, E, B, Magnesium, Iron, Fiber, Carbohydrates, Protein, Calories and so much more. Hold on, don’t overeat this tropical fruit just by looking at its benefits. You might end up suffering from the side-effects of dragon fruits.
Side-effects of Dragonfruit:
1. Too Much Dietary Fiber: If you overeat dragon fruit, there are chances that your body will have too much dietary fiber. This is very bad for your stomach and you can suffer from abdominal pain, irritable bowel syndrome, flatulence, bloating and nausea.
2. Allergic Reactions: Since it is a unique fruit, ask your doctor before including it in your daily diet. Check if you’re allergic to dragon fruit. Some people may suffer from swollen lips, swollen tongue, itchy throat, burning sensation in their throat and so on.
3. Can harm Pregnant Women: Dragon fruit is usually very safe to consume during pregnancy, however, it may interact with other medicines taken during pregnancy. This interaction may result in digestive problems and trouble the mother as well
as the baby.
4. Can Cause Hypotension: The people who are already suffering from hypotension should consume this fruit moderately since it can cause excessive hypotension too. When you cut a dragon fruit, You open a box of nutrients that are definitely good when consumed in limits. Always remember to consult your doctor before taking an excessive amount of anything, including this nutritious tropical fruit.