Wondering why it is cute? Such a small fruit has so many health benefits to offer! Just like a child, it is sweet as well as tart. Isn’t that cute? It often resembles a small furry egg because of its color and texture. Oh, the brilliantly textured green flesh with tiny edible seeds! Mouthwatering! This cute little fruit is often used as a meat tenderizer and an ingredient in many drinks too. Some people love its pulp, while some eat it directly as a fruit. However, this little cutie has a lot of offer to the humankind.
Kiwi is a highly refreshing fruit and hence, a lot of sports drink have the kiwi fruit as their main ingredient. It is full of fiber and even its peel is edible. Some people prefer eating it with its peel because of its edible characteristics. It is a powerhouse as it is a power food. Kiwi has more vitamins and dietary fiber than most other fruits. If you eat it daily, you get Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin E, folates, copper, choline, magnesium, iron, manganese, chloride, phosphorous, lutein, beta-carotene and zeaxanthin. Isn’t that too much?
Benefits and Uses of the Kiwifruit:
- Enhances Heart Health: Many people eat potassium pills these days because not many foods have enough potassium. An adequate amount of potassium in the blood helps to reduce the risk of blood thickening or clotting. Overall, it is very effective in reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Cleanses Blood: It cleanses the blood and reduces cholesterol. Also, eating kiwis regularly reduces triglycerides by 15% as it has a lot of anti-clotting benefits. If you’re worried about the impurities in your blood, start eating kiwis regularly.
- Regularizes Bowel Movements: If you feel constipated, eating kiwis can help you. Kiwis are full of fibers and they can be very effective in treating any diseases related to the digestive system. It cleanses the colon as well as the entire digestive tract. Within a few days, you will notice that your bowel movements will have regularized.
- Fights Cancer: Rich in Vitamin C, Kiwis can fight against the damage caused by free radicals. It prevents damage to the cells. Eating kiwis regularly can reduce the risk of skin and colon cancer.
- Treats Asthma: The antioxidants in Kiwi can treat people with asthma. If one consumes kiwis regularly, especially the fresh kiwis, then their lung function will be improved. It can also reduce wheezing in children.
- Boosts Immune System: Kiwis have so many nutrients and vitamins, that they are alone capable of giving your body all the nutrition. The vitamin C in kiwis is very helpful in boosting the immune system. It helps to keep you from any disease.
- Protects Eyesight: As we all know, macular degeneration is the leading cause of vision loss, and kiwis can protect you from this dreadful condition. High lutein and zeaxanthin in kiwis can help protect the eyesight.
- Treats Diabetes: Kiwis do not have a lot of sugar content in them. This prevents an instant rise in blood sugar levels. Also, kiwis have inositol which controls the sugar in the blood.
- Maintaining Bone health: If your bones are weak, you must eat kiwis. As kiwis have a lot of vitamin C and calcium in them, they protect the bones from any damage and maintain their health as well. Also, kiwis can help fight osteoporosis.
- Healthy Smoothies: Instead of drinking carbonated sodas, you can start drinking the healthy kiwi smoothies to keep yourself fit and fine. These smoothies are great at preventing hair loss, promoting collagen for skin and hair, fighting acne, rejuvenating skin and much more. Not only adults but also kids love kiwi smoothies.
Kiwis can be eaten raw or blended into smoothies. It is best to not cook them as you do not want to destroy vitamins. A lot of kiwi supplements are available in the market, however, it is always suggested that we eat fresh fruits.
Side-effects of Kiwifruit:
- Allergies: Just like any other food, too much of kiwi can cause allergies in some people. It can cause rashes, asthma, hives and local mouth irritation.
- Disturbs Digestion: Eating kiwis can be great for digestion, but too much of it can do the reverse. It can cause symptoms like nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
- Bleeding Disorders: If you’re on medication, you should consult a doctor before eating kiwis. It can actually worsen the situation and cause some bleeding disorders too. Also, pregnant women and children should take kiwis in limited amounts only.
Kiwis are best when…
Kiwis are best when taken in a limited quantity. You must add it to your breakfast and have it with yogurt. (Thank us later!)
If you love smoothies, you can try strawberry kiwi smoothie, banana kiwi smoothie or kiwi and lime soup with sea salt. All of these are great for health. However, consult a doctor if you’re allergic. And remember, limited consumption of kiwis can give you great health benefits, and over-consumption can do exactly reverse.
Start becoming cuter and healthier with kiwis!