This go-to remedy has been a must-have in every Indian house. Castor Oil was first made in India and Africa and is famous worldwide now due to its benefits. Castor oil is obtained by pressing the castor beans. It can be used as vegetable oil, medicine, or for topical application. Indians have been using castor oil for almost everything. From massages to medicine, castor oil is used for so many things. Nowadays, people have started using castor oil in cosmetics, soaps, textiles and even medicines. If you’re an Indian, you must have heard it from an elder that castor oil is really good for hair and skin. In earlier times, people used to massage their bodies with castor oil for clear and smooth skin. No wonder their skins were spotless!
Castor oil can vary in color, however, the pure castor oil is pale yellow. Some people prefer using white castor oil, which is filtered to lower the iodine content. Castor oil is extremely thick and sticky in nature and can be difficult to wash off once applied on the scalp. Hence, people have started mixing castor oil with other oils to dilute it and make it thinner and less sticky. It has many anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties too.
Benefits and uses of Castor Oil:
- Heals Inflamed Skin: Acne, boils, sunburn, and dry skin can happen because of inflamed skin. Castor oil is a mater when it comes to treating inflamed skin. You can apply castor oil to the skin directly (or dilute it with other medication as advised by your dermatologist) and wash off after an hour or so.
- Prevents Early Signs of Ageing: Castor oil can slow down the process of aging when it is applied topically. It softens, hydrates, and stimulates the production of collagen and elastin. If you have wrinkles, you can massage them regularly with castor oil and see the effects.
- Acne-Pimples: If you have acne or pimples, it can probably be because of bacteria. You can simply wash your face, apply castor oil, keep it overnight and see the change. The ricinoleic acid in castor oil can prevent acne as well as pimples.
- Moisturizes Skin: If you need a good massage, use castor oil. And if you need a moisturizer, again use castor oil. As we know how expensive and ineffective these moisturizers are, we must use something natural and effective. Massage your skin with castor oil and you’ll see how your skin will shine. There won’t be any dry patches. Unlike other moisturizers, castor oil does a permanent job.
- Lightens Stretch Marks: After pregnancy, most women have stretch marks. Also, after losing some excessive weight people have stretch marks on their thighs, forearms, stomach, hips, and calves. Massaging castor oil regularly can help those marks fade away.
- Promotes Hair Growth: This is a traditional belief and a scientific fact that castor oil promotes hair growth. It has omega-9 essential fatty acids that moisturizes, conditions, reduces split ends and breakage and promotes hair growth. Regular application of castor oil can also treat scalp infection and premature greying of hair.
- Cures Ringworms: Ringworms are very difficult to treat. Undecylenic acid in castor oil can cure ringworms permanently. However, people prefer diluting castor oil with coconut water to massage their scalp.
- Treats Constipation: Castor oil acts as a laxative. The acids in castor oil are so potent that they speed up the metabolism, smoothen the digestive system and make it easier for the stool to pass. If you suffer from constipation, you can have a few drops of castor oil every morning and see the results in just a few days.
- Reduces Joint Pain: Many studies have proven that applying a castor oil pack using cotton pads can reduce arthritis pain. It is very simple- you just have to put some castor oil on cotton and put it on your joints. It will quickly reduce the soreness in muscles and nerve inflammation as well.
- Boosts Immunity: Castor oil enhances the blood flow, cell generation and many other mechanics in the body. It is said that even if one applies castor oil topically, it can enhance the defense mechanism in the body. Taking it orally can have better results.
Despite such great benefits, over usage of castor oil can have some side-effects.
Side-effects of Castor Oil:
- Nausea: Overdose of castor oil can cause nausea. Especially if castor oil is of poor quality, it can disturb the digestive system and cause nausea.
- Diarrhea: Ricin is one of the most toxic substances. Unfortunately, it exists in castor oil. It can even cause diarrhea and dizziness.
- Skin Rashes: Though castor oil is too good for skin, it can be harmful to some. Some people can have allergic reactions from castor oil. An example of allergic reactions can be skin rashes.
- Induces Premature Labor: It is not advised to take castor oil in an excessive quantity while you’re pregnant. It can even induce premature labor.
Buy the best quality castor oil,
Because the worst quality can have the worst side-effects. Now that you know how effective it is, get one bottle today and start massaging yourself. Relax, destress, unwind from daily life. Allow your skin to breathe. Have no more acne and skin infections. Choose the best quality oil from a trusted store or you can even ask your doctor.